“Don’t judge each day by the harvest you reap but by the seeds that you plant.” ~ Robert Louis Stevenson
Life is what we make of it. We get what we put out into the Universe in the form of thoughts, feelings, emotions, and vibrations (aka, energies). It’s up to us to choose the seeds we wish to plant, what we choose to believe, think or focus on. The more we nurture seeds of Love, kindness, and compassion, the more of those things we’ll see blossom in our lives.
Quite frankly, we are what we think! Our thoughts and reactions determine our feelings and our feelings our world. Our glass could be half-full or even overflowing, but if we only see the cup as half-empty it doesn’t really matter what life brings our way because we can only get what we perceive.
So how do we take care to plant the right seeds in the gardens of our minds and water only those we truly wish to bloom? How do we water our dreams rather than our worries and fears? By taking the time to be aware of the thoughts and feelings we hold, and redirecting our focus to where we want them to be as often as necessary.
Sounds pretty simple, right? Well, not when we have years of conditioned habits and subconscious thought patterns to break free of. But worry not, with a little practice, patience and dedication, you never know what might bloom ;)
Here are some tips to get you started :)
- Focus On What You Want. We waste too much precious time worrying about things we don’t want to happen, things that most likely will never occur. Instead of focusing on your fears, try to shift your attention to your dreams, your aspirations, and the things you Love. The next time you find yourself biting your nails over something you’re afraid will happen, flip the script by picturing a dream or wish being fulfilled instead.
- Release the Need to Label. Try not to label thoughts as positive or negative, but rather view them objectively as they are. Focus only on those that align with the life you wish to create and let everything else go. Picture your thoughts floating by on a conveyor belt while you choose the ones you want to keep and put back the ones you don’t. And remember, you are not your thoughts. You’re simply the one observing them. So no need to get down on yourself any time an odd thought crosses your mind. It happens to all of us!
- Be Mindful Daily. Did you spend all day watering your fears or your dreams? Check in with your thoughts daily to make sure they're aligned with the life you intend to create. Try setting a reminder in your iPhone to go off at different points in your day to help remind you of these checks until it becomes habitual.
- Re-aim Your Focus. Any time you catch your focus or your thoughts wandering, simply redirect your focus back to thoughts and ideas that resonate with you and make your heart smile :). This doesn’t mean denying fears or worries. It means acknowledging whatever thoughts arise, but knowing that you have the choice regarding which ones you allow to stay. Weeds will always try to overtake the garden, but they can’t grow without sunlight and water (aka: your focus and attention ;).
- Keep Calm. If your thoughts seem to get the best of you, don’t panic. It’s okay. It happens. Simply slow down, close your eyes, and take 5 nice, long, deep breaths. You’ll be recentered before you know it!
- Don’t Fight It. There is no need to try to control or change your thoughts. Allow whatever comes up to come up. If it’s something you don’t like, simply don’t focus on it. Remove your attention from it. Water only those seeds with your attention which you wish to see bloom.
- Repetition is Key. In the words of Mr. Thoreau, "As a single footstep will not make a path on the earth, so a single thought will not make a pathway in the mind. To make a deep physical path, we walk again and again. To make a deep mental path, we must think over and over the kind of thoughts we wish to dominate our lives." We must tend to the garden of our minds in order to achieve long-lasting results. Practice makes perfect!
- Be Patient with Yourself. We wouldn’t expect a flower to bloom overnight so we shouldn’t expect ourselves to. Continue to water your seeds knowing that the flowers will blossom in their own season.
- Trust. Know that if you continue to put in the work the fruits will come with time. But just in case you need a little reminder (hey, we all do sometimes!), this should do the trick ;)
Love + Light,
~ Smita :)