"Every new day is another chance to change your life." ~ Unknown
When I look back at this beautiful, magical year, where I am now, what I now know, and the lifestyle we’ve created for ourselves, it’s simply amazing. I could never have imagined myself waking up at 4:30am, meditating and writing daily, cooking delicious, fresh meals and starting my own socially and environmentally conscious business and lifestyle blog! All of these accomplishments were such big changes that would have been difficult to foresee or even imagine. They were so far from where I once was that the goal seemed daunting and often impossible.
But the steps that brought me here were small and manageable:
- Writing 100 words daily about anything that came to my mind, simply to get myself in the habit of sitting down to write, slowly led to creating this blog to share my insights with the world.
- Waking up at 4:30am to meditate for a few minutes daily, turned into several minutes, which eventually evolved into staying up and spending 3-4 hours each morning focusing on the things that make my heart smile.
- Reading a few pages of a book before bed turned into reading a new book every month.
- Taking the T.V. out of the living room evolved into less than an hour of TV a day—with some days none at all—and resulted in more quality time to spend with my husband, long, deep conversations over a nice meal, and much needed quiet time to relax and unwind before bed.
- Taking a voice class once a week over the summer led to feeling “safe” to sing freely in public, and musical nights with my love.
- Leaving my job eventually evolved into creating my own business and actualizing my dreams.
All of this, and so much more, has happened, was possible, thanks to a series of small steps—conscious decisions that little by little added up to something magical.
I’ve learned that we must look at life, our goals, our aspirations, and dreams, in a different way. By taking the big-picture dream and breaking it down into small, achievable steps, we're able to reach our goals much sooner than we could ever have imagined, and create a new way of being.
So the next time you hear that voice in your head trying to convince you that you can’t do it, that’s it’s too hard, or too good to be true, try to allow it to pass through you. Stop and ask yourself honestly: 'What’s one thing you can do in this moment to get closer to fulfilling your dreams?'
If it’s eating better, begin by saying no to one indulgent meal or snack a day. If it’s working out in the morning, start small by simply getting out of bed and doing some light stretching, or going for a short walk around the block. If it’s wanting to be a better cook, start by making one new dish or item a week. When you’ve achieved the first small step consistently for a few weeks, move onto the next one to expand your goals successfully.
Before you know it, one meal turns into two, then three, and eventually becomes second nature; walking and stretching turn into a brisk jog or a pilates session that is much easier to complete; resisting an indulgent treat becomes easier and easier the more you do it. Slowly, all of these small steps, these daily conscious actions, add up and you’ve changed your lifestyle altogether.
Change takes time. It’s not something that typically happens overnight, but rather a series of small actions that together create a new way of being and doing. It’s not enough to simply will change or to want it desperately. We must intend to make the changes we wish to see in our lives, to take positive action towards achieving our goals, even if it’s only one small step forward at a time. One step forward taken daily, with the right intention, is how it all begins!
8 Steps to Create Lasting Change
Do you have a goal you want to achieve? A way of being that you’ve always dreamed of but didn't believe was possible? Here’s a summary of the tips discussed above to help you achieve your goals and create a new way of being:
- Start Small. Break your dreams down into manageable steps. What's one thing you can do right now to help you achieve your goal? Remember: we have to start at A to get to Z.
- Create Consistency. Create an achievable target and aim to successfully hit that target for several weeks before moving onto the next step. Don't try to jump from A to D. Go slowly, and allow yourself to move through each step at your own pace.
- Allow Yourself to Grow. Change can be uncomfortable. It can make us feel vulnerable, awkward and even uncertain at times. Trust in the process. Believe in yourself. Allow yourself a fair shot at growing.
- Be Patient with Yourself. Evolution takes time. Know this and be compassionate with yourself throughout the process. Focus on one thing at a time until you master it, until it's your nature. This is how you truly grow.
- Let Go of Excuses. “I don’t have enough time.” “I could never accomplish that.” “I’m not talented enough,” etc., etc. If you want to do something, then do it. Don’t listen to that voice in your head trying to convince you otherwise. The only thing stopping you is you!
- Hold Yourself Accountable. Share your goals with a close family member, partner or friend who can help keep you motivated to achieve your goals.
- Try Your Best. At the end of the day, that’s all we can really do. If it doesn’t work out, know that you put your best effort forward and that something better is waiting to be discovered!
- Smile. Last, but not least, smile :) Trust me, it will make you feel better throughout the journey.
Change isn’t about reaching our goals overnight, or even in a few months. It’s about daily habits, small choices that over time come together to create our desired results. With baby steps, anything is truly possible.
Love + Light,
Related Blogs You May Also Enjoy
Finding the Discipline to Do What You Love
From Night Owl to Early Bird: A Transformative Journey