Everyone’s always searching for the "get healthy fast” schemes. We want everything fast, and effortless, and easy. If only it were that simple, right?! I wish I could tell you that living a healthy lifestyle comes quickly or easily. But, in fact, it takes a lot of practice, learning, patience and time. While many of us might not be able to allocate as much time as we would like to our overall health and well-being, that doesn't mean that we can't start. Afterall, we have to begin somewhere.
While you've probably heard these strategies before, here are my top 5 things you can start doing right now to help kickstart a healthier lifestyle. Don’t let the simplicity of these tips fool you. Healthy living doesn’t have to be complicated or complex, but more so a series of small, mindful actions that slowly add up to a new way of being. And in order to begin, we have to master the basics. So, here we go:
- Read Every Label. It’s not just about doing crunches and sit-ups. Knowledge is power. The more you know, the more it will in itself manifest a healthier lifestyle. Read the ingredients on every single label, both for the products you eat and for those you put onto your body. If you don't recognize an ingredient, don't buy it!
- Get Moving! Stretch, walk, run, exercise, swim, do jumping jacks. Whatever you do, get up and find one way to move your body every single day, even if it's only for a few minutes. Try not to waste your energy thinking about how long you can do it for. Simply start moving and take it from there. Tip: You have to start at A before you can get to B! Once you start moving and feel your body getting energized, it will be easier to keep going. The only challenge is beginning ;)
- Hydrate. Sounds simple, I know, but how many of us actually drink as much water as our bodies need? I’m guilty myself - so guilty that I literally need an iReminder to hydrate throughout my day. Here are some tips to help you meet your body’s H20 needs:
- Drink a glass of water when you first wake up. Tip: a warm glass of water with lemon is a great way to clear out gut bacteria, get the poop flowing and prepare your stomach for digestion ;)
- If you have trouble remembering like me, set reminders to go off throughout the day or use post-it notes. Use whatever tools you need to help you remember!
- Know your body. It's a myth that everyone needs 8 glasses of water a day. Everyone's body is different and therefore so are its daily needs. Make sure to take a peep when you go to the bathroom to check in on your body's hydration levels. The lighter your pee, the more hydrated you are.
- Breathe. Seriously, breathe!! Preferably with your eyes closed, nice and slow for 5 long, deep breaths. Stopping to do this a few times a day is not only energizing for the body but also super calming for the mind. Go ahead, try it ;)
- Floss. We all know how important gut health is, but not many of us realize that gut health truly begins with oral health. Everything we swallow affects our gut including the bacteria in our mouths. Flossing is the best way to help eliminate the bacteria and plaque living between our teeth. It wasn't until the past few years that I realized how important flossing is for my health and incorporated it into my daily routine. My gum health has improved, my mouth feels cleaner and fresher throughout the day, and my breath smells better. Now if I could just find an eco-friendly floss that actually works! I've tried Good Floss and Dental Lace; while they’re both great in theory, they break often and aren't durable enough for an effective floss so the search continues...
Love + Light,
How many of these do you do every day? Share your comments below!