The past few months have been hectic, to say the least. Work, family, and daily responsibilities have been nonstop. I'm tired, I'm overwhelmed the majority of the time, and I'm on a constant roller coaster of emotions. Every single day.
Which has me thinking a lot about how to cope when life won't stop moving, when there's hardly a minute to slow down, and even when there is, it's just not enough to fully recharge. For instance, what do I do when meditating daily, using positive affirmations, free writing, mindful tea, and all of the strategies that are my go-to life hacks simply aren't working? When they are no longer enough?
Which brings me to this post. While the journey to finding these answers is ongoing, here are the answers that arose from my heart as I asked my soul these questions:
1. Stop Trying to Change It. Life is so much easier when we're not resisting it every step of the way. When we allow ourselves to continually pivot around the obstacles and changes that constantly appear. When we surrender to the present moment as it is, rather than how we want it to be. So, I may not be as well-rested, emotionally at peace, or as centered in general as I am akin to, but that doesn't mean that I have to resist what's happening. Because whatever is arising, the reality is that I have to face it, or I'll just suffer more.
2. Stop Waiting for the Whens. 'When it'll change, I'll feel better." "When I get through this weekend, it'll get easier." "When I get back on some sort of schedule, I'll be less emotional." "When..." "When..." "When..." Unfortunately, the reality is that no "When" can really change the way we feel. At least not on a deeper level. And if we keep waiting for them, we'll miss out on the only moment we truly have: the present. So no matter how stressed or tired I'm feeling, it's important to remind myself that this is the only moment I am guaranteed so I might as well make the most of it.
3. Learn to Ride the Waves. I'm beginning to realize that this isn't going to get any easier, but that doesn't mean it's not going to get better. We're always looking for the easy way out, the least stressful, the least taxing, the least effortful, and sometimes, in that hunt, we forget that even under these circumstances, life is still really frickin' great. Just because the tides are high or rough at times, doesn't change the beauty and depth of the ocean. We simply have to appreciate it for everything it is, not just the calm waves. Remembering this is enough to bring a smile to my face and gratitude in my heart :)
4. Know that It's Get's Better. Lucky for us, as humans, we are easily adaptable. So while things might not necessarily get easier (I don't see my to-do lists getting any shorter, or there being less on my plate as our company grows), they definitely get better. I look back to where I was a year ago, and it's amazing how quickly we can learn and grow. We just have to go with it and remind ourselves that what we feel and know now, isn't necessarily what we'll feel and know in the future now. And just reminding myself of this is comforting to know.
5. Be Gentle with Yourself. And, Love yourself unconditionally. Every day I am faced with new situations, new problems, new things that I have to learn to deal with. When there is so much new to experience, it can leave you feeling quite vulnerable and often a little low, especially with how many mistakes we can make when doing things for the first time. Which is why it's so important to Love and be gentle with ourselves on our journeys, wherever our paths may lead us, for we are learning and doing the best with what we know. To help me, I often look in the mirror, smile at myself and say out loud, "I love you unconditionally." It might sound silly but the power of these words, especially when looking into your own beautiful eyes, is undeniable once you experience it for yourself!
So while I know that I signed up for this roller coaster ride, it doesn't mean that I have to let it ride me. Keeping these tips in mind helps make the ride better, and one day, I hope, truly enjoyable no matter what twists, turns, drops and bumps come my way.
Love + Light,