This traditional Ayurvedic healing recipe has been used in our family for years and is one of my favorites! Not only does it help support your immune system, but it can also help reduce inflammation, promote healthy menstruation, and improve digestion and circulation. And best of all, it’s super easy to make :)
But first a brief history...
Turmeric is native to India and South Asia and is often recognized in Indian and Asian cuisines for its bright yellow color. It is one of the most antioxidant-rich, immune-enhancing, and anti-inflammatory herbs available. The Curcumin that is naturally found in turmeric has strong antioxidant properties (more than vitamin E!) and is an effective antibacterial agent when applied topically—it can even seal and heal cuts!
I recommend drinking this at night to aid relaxation and sound sleep. I like to premix a large batch so I can easily make it after a long day of work.
- 1 cup organic grass-fed whole or 2% milk (can substitute oat or hemp milk)
- 1 tsp organic ghee or coconut oil (to prevent constipation ;)
- ½ tsp organic turmeric powder
- Large pinch of ginger and cinnamon powder
- Small pinch of black pepper (to increase absorption)
- Small pinch of saffron (optional)
- Organic raw honey or sugar to taste (optional)
- Warm the milk in a small saucepan over low-medium heat stirring occasionally.
- Once warm, slowly add the ghee and spices while continuing to stir until the spices have fully absorbed into the milk or there are no powdery chunks.
- Remove from heat just as it begins to steam. Add sweetener if using and drink immediately!
- Tip: Stir a couple pitted Medjool dates or golden raisins into your cup for an extra treat. This is especially beneficial for individuals with anemia or women on their menstrual cycle. My mom used to make this for me all the time and it was my favorite period-soothing treat—well, aside from chocolate chip cookies of course!
Note: If using honey, it’s important not to add it directly into the saucepan as heated honey becomes harder to digest and loses many of its nutritional benefits.
Love + Light,