Healthy skin is so much more than finding the right products! It's truly about health and wellness from a holistic sense: incorporating your mind, body, and soul. Here are 8 things you can do today for healthy, radiant skin!
1. Develop a Routine. Getting into a skincare routine is one of the best things you can do to take care of your skin. Washing and moisturizing every morning and night, staying hydrated with steams and masks (once a month), exfoliating to remove dead skin cells (2-3x/week), not sleeping with makeup on (this is a huge one because it clogs pores and doesn't allow our skin to breathe!), applying sunscreen - all things you can do daily to help your skin look and feel its best. Tip: Take the time to learn your skin. What works for me might not work for you, even if we have a similar skin type. Know that as the seasons change so will your skin and, thus, so should your routine.
2. Stay Hydrated. I don't know about you, but my skin is more prone to breakouts and looks duller when I'm dehydrated. Here are some tips to help you meet your body’s H20 needs:
- Drink a glass of water when you first wake up. Tip: a warm glass of water with lemon is a great way to clear out gut bacteria and prepare your stomach for digestion.
- If you have trouble remembering like me, set reminders in your phone to go off throughout the day or use post-it notes. Carrying a reusable water bottle with you everywhere you go also helps! I like this one :)
- Take a peek when you go to the bathroom. The darker your pee, the more dehydrated you are.
- Need something to help curb sugary-drink cravings? Fruit and herb infused waters are so satisfying and truly refreshing. You can really use anything you like, but just be sure to allow your water to infuse for a couple of hours to get the full flavors. Some of our favorite combinations are:
Cucumber Basil. Squeeze 4-5 slices of cucumber and a couple of slices of lemon into your water pitcher. Rub a handful of basil leaves between your balms to help release the flavor and add to the water. I find this one super energizing!
Rosemary Lavender. Simply add 2-3 small sprigs of organic rosemary, 1-2 teaspoons of dried lavender flowers and a couple of slices of lemon for a calming treat.
Berry Mint. Lightly mash a handful of organic berries of choice (I like blueberries or blackberries) and fresh mint leaves, then add to a pitcher of water.
Yes, indeed! Getting 8 hours of zzz's is not just important for our mind and body, but it's also vital for glowing skin! Our skin repairs itself overnight and getting less than 7 hours a night can lead to dark circles, wrinkles and even sagging skin
Avoid dark circles and tired eyes by going screen-free at least an hour before hitting the hay and for a 10-15 minutes
after you wake up. Still tired? Gently rub aloe vera gel onto your face and around your eyes. The cooling gel will help wake you up and reduce inflammation.
4. Gut Healthy!
Pun intended :p Gut health is tied to everything, including clear skin. Whether it's eating a probiotic supplement or adding probiotic-rich foods into your diet like kimchi, kombucha, or miso, a healthy gut can help reduce inflammation
associated with rosacea, acne, eczema, and psoriasis. Tip:
Eating fiber-rich foods also helps gut bacteria flourish so load up on legumes, beans, and even oatmeal.
5. Eat Well.
Just like our bodies, our skin also needs vitamins and nutrient-rich foods to stay healthy! Eating foods rich in antioxidants, healthy fats and vitamins will help give your skin a natural glow. Tip:
Opt for a well-balanced diet and limit intake of processed sugars and foods when possible. If you can't always get what you need from your meals, try adding nutrient-rich items to your smoothies (spirulina, flax seeds, chia seeds, and moringa are all great options!) and take a food-derived multivitamin (our go-to brand is MegaFoods
6. Modify Your Environment.
A lot of times I find that my skin is the most irritated when our heat kicks on (which is most of the year in Chicago). We've started running humidifiers in our room and living room, and it has worked wonders for my skin. It's not the most energy efficient, but keeping my eczema and rosacea flareups under control are worth it. Tip:
Try adding some of these plants
to your bedroom to help purify the air quality while you sleep.
7. Sweat It Out! Sweat is our body's natural detoxification system so getting active naturally cleanses our pores. Walk, run, dance, swim, do jumping jacks, whatever you choose, get up and move your body every day. Tip: Make sure to wash your face after a workout or the toxins released can seep back in, leading to breakouts!
8. Relax. Stress is linked to increased cortisol levels, which breaks down collagen and elastin and signals your skin to produce more oil. So if mental health isn't enough to get you to pause, then do it for your skin! Tip: Close your eyes and take 5 long, deep breaths. Stopping to do this a few times a day is super calming and relaxing for the mind. Go ahead, try it :)
BONUS: Be Happy! Happy people have a glow that no product or routine can buy. Do more of what makes you happy, and notice how you'll shine from the inside out!
Love + Light,
RELATED BLOGS YOU MAY ALSO ENJOY
Skin Absorption 101
Skincare Hacks: Coconut Castor Oil
Clean Beauty Do's + Don'ts!