Our lips are more delicate than we may realize. With their thin layer of skin, they not only absorb most of what we put on them, but they're also more susceptible to damage from the elements (i.e., strong winds, cold, and too much sunshine), so it's important to be conscious of what we put on them.
Here are 5 reasons to switch to our organic lip balm today:
- Parabens: Hormone disruptors that mimic estrogen in the body.
- Fragrance: Chemical ingredients in scents are concealed and protected by trade law so we have no idea what's really in them.
- Synthetic Colors (FD&C Blue 1, Green 3, Yellow 5 and 6, Red 33): Made from coal tar and deposit toxins onto the skin.
- Chemical Sunscreen (Oxybenzone, Octinoxate, Octisalate, Octocrylene, Avobenzone, Vitamin A): Endocrine disruptors, ecotoxins and/or carcinogens.
- Flavors (Menthol, Peppermint): Super drying and can irritate the skin.
- Petroleum Jelly/Mineral Oil: By-products of oil, often contaminated with toxins. Not to mention they are astringents that will dry out your skin.
2. It Actually Does What It's Supposed To. How many times do you apply your lip balm a day? And how many times do you feel your lips get drier without use? That's because your lip balm is actually drying you out. Yes, you heard me: it's drying you out! When filled with ingredients like mineral oil, petroleum jelly, and scents and flavors, what else would you expect? With an organic lip balm, you actually get the hydration your lips need, requiring less application throughout the day and lasting results.
3. It's Organic + Fairtrade. When you buy organic and fair-trade, you cast a vote for the type of world you want to live in. Organic ingredients are grown without the use of harmful pesticides and chemicals (so they are not only better for the environment but also better for us) while fairtrade ingredients ensure fair wages and safe working conditions for those producing them (especially important for products containing shea butter, cocoa butter, sugar, tea, etc.)
4. It's BPA + BPS Free. Believe it or not, the type of tube your lip balm comes in matters. When you pour hot liquid into plastic, the chemicals from the plastic can leech into your products. Just like with containers you store your food and water in, it's important to look for tubes that are free of these toxins when it comes to your skin as well.
5. It's Edible! Our organic lip balm is handmade with only three ingredients, all of which are safe to eat. A good amount of what we apply to our lips is ingested so wouldn't you want to opt for something that's actually edible and good for you? Food for thought ;)
Bonus: 4 Additional Ways to Use Our Original Lip Balm
The best thing about organic products is that they are typically multipurpose. Here are a few unique uses for our Original Lip Balm:
1. Cuticle Stick. My cuticles are terrible in Chicago winters, especially after a day of unpacking boxes. Our lip balm works well to provide lasting hydration and protection and is easier to apply when you're on the go.
2. Base Layer. Protect your lips from chemicals in your favorite lip gloss or lipstick by applying a base layer first. Simply apply our organic lip balm and allow 2-3 minutes for the balm to absorb before applying other products on top.
3. Soothe Sore, Dry Nose. I don't know about you, but my nose is super sensitive in the winter and I often have flaky skin around my nostrils. I like to carry around an extra lip balm (which I peel the label off of) to moisturize and soothe this tender skin, especially after frequent nose blowing.
4. Doggy Balm. We have a few customers who love using our lip balm on their dogs' paws. Plus, they don't have to worry about them licking it off, and it's much easier to apply this way versus from a tin.
Ready to make the switch? Enjoy 10% off with code: ORGANICLIPS :)
Love + Light,
Want to support a cause? Check out our special edition lip balms! 25% of profits donated.