Vipassana is a form of meditation that helps us experience the world in an entirely new way. It's a process of self-discovery that allows us to observe and participate in our own experiences as they occur, helping us to truly understand that every moment is fleeting.
Vipassana, which means to see things are they really are, is one of India's most ancient meditation techniques. It utilizes the breath and body to improve concentration and develop insight into the self. This technique is said to be discovered by Buddha 2500 years ago, and it is taught to those willing to learn during a 10-day silent meditation course, which provides a unique opportunity for self-discovery through direct experience.
Why I Love It
While I won't get into the details of the course as it's important for you to have your own experience, here are a few reasons why I highly recommend it:
- It's Non-Secular. No religion, gods, or pushing of faiths involved. Just good old science and spirituality. A universal way to liberation from our minds.
- It's a Mental Training Bootcamp. The entire practice is actually a mental training. Just as we use exercises to improve our physical health, Vipassana can be used to develop a healthy mind and shift in perspective.
- Teachers Are Not Paid. Teachers teach out of the goodness and desire of their hearts and don't receive any material remuneration. They are there because they want to share their knowledge and joy with whoever wants to learn. They have nothing to gain other than their students' experience.
- It's Completely Free. They aren't trying to sell you anything. The course is 100% free, including boarding and food, and is run on the donations of old students. You can only donate if you have taken a 10-day course, so it's literally run by people who believe strongly in the power of the course and want others to benefit from the same opportunity.
- It Actually Works! I've studied and practiced meditation since I was 15 and nothing compares to this experience. For the first time, I felt like I was actually shown the tools to bring about inner peace in a clear, understandable way. Does that mean I gained peace overnight? Absolutely not! But knowing I have the tools I need in my tool chest has made all the difference ;)
- They Offer Free Prison Courses, which have resulted in a 20% reduction in disciplinary action and a decrease in behavioral problems for participating prisoners. It has also led to an increase in volunteerism and a willingness to help other inmates. Click here to learn more about this program.
Where to Go
I go to the center in Illinois but there are 14 centers in the US and many more throughout the world. Click here to find a center near you!
P.S. To learn more about the tools I learned at Vipassana, check out this post!